We are entering that time of season where the company’s annual Christmas party is on the minds of employers and employees alike. There’s nothing like a good office party to build team morale and network right? With your office Christmas party fast approaching we offer these simple etiquette tips that will help you successful attend and partake in your company’s most largest social event of the year.
Office Party Etiquette Tips
In preparation for attending your Christmas party (or any office party for that matter), you’ll want to consider the following to ensure that you have a fun time at your Christmas party while keeping it a professional and socially successful event.
- Dress for Success – find out in advance the tone for the party. Typically office parties such as your annual Christmas party are swanky affairs so you’ll want to dress appropriately. This might mean don’t overdressing and for some of you ladies out there means avoiding showing a little too much skin. Ask others what they are wearing to the party and find a nice combination of what you are comfortable with, what shows a little of your personality all the while keeping it professional and tasteful.
- Avoid Overindulging – this goes for food and drink. Know your limits and stay within them. Just because there may be an open bar does not mean that you should work on setting your personal best for the number of glasses of wine that you can consume in an hour. You don’t want to be “that guy” or “that girl” at the Christmas party so drink responsibly. From a food perspective, avoid fasting all day so that you can forcing you to heap your plate at the buffet table. Try a little of everything if you must but again don’t overindulge.
- Mingle and Network – depending on the size of your company a Christmas party can be a great environment to learn more about some of your team members that perhaps you do not get to interact with on a regular basis. Regular social etiquette rules should apply so avoid talking entirely about yourself or complaining about your manager or about your job in general. Listen to what others have to say and enjoy learning something new about your coworkers.
- The office party is not the forum to express your frustrations about your job or your company – it is always a good idea to keep any strong opinions that you may have to yourself. Sure you might have some good ideas but the office Christmas party is probably not the best time or place to share them.
- Life’s a Dance – enjoy yourself during the evening but remember you are not competing on Dancing with the Stars so there’s no need to overdo it on the dance floor. You can still be the life of the party without displaying your Saturday Night Fever dance routine.
- Avoid any physical confrontations – this should go without saying but roughhousing and physical altercations should be avoided. Getting into a verbal or physical altercation is not acceptable. If you have issues with a person at the party, do your best to avoid that person and refrain from any shouting or pushing matches. We are all adults, work things out or simply avoid the situation.
- If you plan on drinking, don’t drive – another no brainer right? If you plan on drinking alcohol at your Christmas party, call a cab or arrange for transportation to and from the party. In fact in this day and age many company will actually reimburse you for your taxi transportation from the party. There are a number of options that you can use to ensure that you arrive home safely.
- Thank your employer and social committee – the annual Christmas party often takes a lot of planning and resources to make happen. If you get the opportunity, be sure to thank your employer and your social committee for putting the Christmas party on.
Following the simple tips above can ensure that you enjoy your office party and enjoy an evening out with your coworkers and teammates. Christmas parties can be especially fun and more enjoyable when everyone is in good spirits (but not over-the-top) and when those in attendance are a pleasure to be around. Do you part and enjoy yourself without overdoing it.
Are you an HR Manager who needs some HR consulting or recruiting assistance? Contact Aspire Recruitment Solutions at 778-484-0161.
Aspire Recruitment Solutions is the leading human resource solution and employment agency provider to clients in Kelowna, Vernon, Kamloops, Northern BC and Alberta. We connect great employers with the best candidates every day.