A temp agency also known as temporary employment agencies help find workers for companies that need people to join their teams on a short-term basis. The company benefits because it doesn’t incur all the administrative costs of placing an ad, interviewing, and possibly training a new employee. The temporary employee is hired to fill in on a short-term basis.
How Do Temp Agencies Work?
The temp agency finds workers and places them with the appropriate company, and the temp worker is on the job for only as long as they are needed – it could be for a few days, a few weeks, or a few months. In some cases “temporary workers” can be at the job for years. In many cases temp jobs can turn into full-time positions.
There are various types of temporary employment agencies. Some temp agencies specialize in a particular job type such as office administration or laborer positions. Others specialize in a certain industry such as computer technology or financial.
Temp agencies collect their feed from the employer and quite often with have an inventory of candidates who are ready to go with minimal notice.
As an employee who is seeking temporary employment or is looking to become a temp, working with a temp agency can expedite the job search process. The employment agency will have a roster of clients whom they are working with to fill positions. There is an increasing trend in companied who are doing more temporary hiring to try out potential candidates for permanent jobs. Quite often a temporary position can turn out into a full-time job with an organization.
In order to work with a temp agency you will be interviewed just as you would for any other job. Remember the agency is looking to match the right candidate for their client, the employer who has hired them to fill the temporary position needs.
3 Benefits of Working with a Temp Agency: Job Seekers
As a person looking for a temporary or short-term job, working with a temp agency can provide a number of benefits including:
- Quicker Placement – temp agencies have already done some of the leg work in terms of having a list of companies who are looking for temporary employees for their business. The temp agency can connect you much quicker with a potential employer than if you had to “pound the pavement” yourself. As a temp worker, you’ll be represented by an agency with more career contacts than you could ever develop on your own.
- Interview Preparation – the agency that you work with will interview you thereby providing interview practice based on what the employer is looking for. Chances are that you may still have an interview directly with the employer, but the agency will provide you with additional information that you can use to be better prepared for your interview.
- Understanding the Needs of the Client – temporary employment agencies will have a strong understanding of what their clients (i.e. your potential employer) is looking for. They can communicate this information to you the job seeker so that you can determine for yourself if the temp job will be the best fit for what you are looking for.
3 Benefits of Working with a Temp Agency: Employer
From an employer’s perspective there are also a lot of positive benefits to working with a temporary employment agency.
- Save on HR Costs – the temp agency will do a lot of the heavy lifting for your HR team. Recruiting, hiring and training can be expensive, especially for small and medium size businesses, however a temp agency can help reduce the administrative costs such as placing an ad, interviewing, and in some cases training a new employee.
- Save Time in Recruiting – a good recruitment firm and employment agency should have an established list of potential candidates. This means they already have a list of potential suitors for your temporary recruiting needs. Talk to your HR manager and they will say that recruiting can be extremely time consuming and challenging. Why not let an established temp agency spend their time finding the right fit for your needs? Chances are a temp agency will have multiple candidates who are ready to go.
- Provide Pre-Screened Applicants – working with a temporary employment agency will mean that you don’t have site through numerous interviews. The temp agency will screen the candidates based on the criteria that you provide. The agency will have a strong understanding of what you are looking for and will be able to filter through the resumes and candidates that are looking for temporary employment. This will save you time and money in your staffing needs.
Working with a temporary employment agency can be a great experience for both job seekers and employers. In a tough job market it can be difficult to find a job or as an employer finding the skillset you need for a temporary, perhaps permanent position. Working with a temp agency can bridge the gap and place the right candidate at the right time.
Are you a job seeker looking for a job? Or perhaps as an employer or HR Manager, you need assistance with your temporary recruiting efforts? Contact Aspire Recruitment Solutions at 778-484-0161. Aspire Recruitment Solutions is the leading human resource solution and employment agency provider to clients in Kelowna, Vernon, Kamloops, Northern BC and Alberta. We connect great employers with the best candidates every day.