Accountant / Controller
Our client is a well established mid-sized heating, ventilation, air conditioning and controls company which provides service to hundreds of commercial customers throughout Western Canada. Head operations are located in Vernon and Kamloops, British Columbia.
They are currently looking to fill the position of Accountant/Controller in their Vernon office. This position is responsible for the full-cycle accounting and financial reporting for the company.
• Manage the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, customer credits and collections, payroll, inventory integrity, fixed asset records and general and cost accounting.
• Prepare monthly and year-end financial statements, ensuring the completion of all critical and necessary reporting within specified deadlines.
• Assist in the preparation of budgets and projections
• Oversee the management of cash flow, ensuring the timely preparation of invoices and collection of accounts receivables, including hold-backs.
• Complete and submit various accounting and administrative reports as required by the management team and external agencies (CRA, WCB)
• Negotiate lines of credit, interest rates and banking charges
• Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements including taxation (GST/PST) remittances.
• Supervise the work of assistant bookkeeper as required.
• Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
• Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
• Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
• Process payroll
• Ensure that bank reconciliations are completed
• Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
• Maintain the chart of accounts and general ledger
• Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
• Acquire/renew all business bonding, licencing and insurance
• Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
• Issue timely and accurate financial statements, monthly, quarterly and annually.
• Post-secondary graduate, with a concentration in Accounting or related program from a recognized college or university.
• Accounting designation, CMA, CGA or CA
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in a professional accounting or Finance position.
• Accounting experience in the construction industry an asset.
• Solid business acumen and ability to advise on strategic financial objectives a definite asset.
• Advanced knowledge of computers and computer software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Working knowledge of Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate or direct experience with similar, integrated accounting software.